Start the day out right, with a fresh batch of donuts – iced with mocha frosting and drizzled with chocolate.
- Dissolve yeast in 2 cups of warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast-and-water mixture with yellow cake mix, flour and salt to create a soft dough.
- Cover bowl and let dough rise in a warm area for 1 hour.
- Roll out risen dough on a flour-dusted surface to a 1/2" thickness. Using a 21/2" to 31/2" cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut out doughnut circles. Use a knife to cut out the donut holes.
- Cover donuts and let them rise again for 30 minutes.
- Heat 3" of vegetable oil in a fryer or deep skillet to 350°F.
- Place donuts, 3 or 4 at a time, in skillet. Make sure they have room to fry.
- Cook each donut 3 to 4 minutes, flipping them over halfway through cooking time, until brown and cooked through.
- Transfer donuts to paper towel to drain and cool.
- Pour extract into container of frosting. Stir until evenly blended
- Place the frosting in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 10 second intervals or until melted.
- Dip the top of each donut into the melted frosting; set aside to cool. Repeat until all donuts are iced.
- Tip: Start by frying just one donut as a test and cut it open to check for doneness. If donut is still raw inside, adjust your frying time.