We like to call these ornaments our press-and-play project because there's nothing tricky here. No frosting to pipe, no complicated candies to shape, no melting anything. They are as easy as frosting the cupcakes, rolling them in sugar, choosing fun candies, and then pressing them into place to make beautiful designs. It’s that easy. Make a batch for a holiday dessert or put them in gift boxes for a sweet party favor or holiday gift.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the vanilla frosting into a ziplock bag; set aside.
- Place the colored sugars into separate small bowls. Spread the tops of cupcakes with the vanilla frosting to mound slightly. Roll the tops of the cupcakes into one of the different colored sugars and coat completely.
- Cut the black licorice laces into twenty four 1 1/2" pieces. Poke a hole on either end of the spice drops with a toothpick. Bend the licorice laces in half and insert the ends into the flat side of the spice drop to make a loop. Insert an end of the pretzel stick in the rounded end of the spice drop. Press the spice drop assembly, inserting the pretzel stick all the way into the sugared cupcakes to make the top of the ornament.
- Flatten the fruit chews on a piece of wax paper with a rolling pin to a 1/8 thickness. Use clean craft scissors or regular scissors and cut the fruit chews and leather into decorative pieces. Arrange candy pieces on top of the cupcakes to make stripes and lines. Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting and pipe dots randomly over the cupcakes and on top of the fruit chews. Press the candy coated chocolates into the frosting to secure.
- Place cupcakes in another paper liner and place into small boxes or serving platter.