Get back to nature, the tasty way! This fun cupcake project will thrill any gardener. Make as many of each vegetable decoration as you like.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with white paper liners. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18 to 21 minutes. Transfer the pans to a wire rack and cool cupcakes completely.
- Cut the graham crackers in half crosswise with a serrated knife. Cut the mint gum into two 3/4 inch triangles to make the shovel heads. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Place the white chocolate melting wafers into a Ziploc bag. Microwave the chocolate melting wafers for 10 seconds, massaging chocolates in the bag, return bag to microwave and repeat process until chocolates are smooth, about 30 seconds total.
- Snip a small corner from bag with the melted chocolate and pipe an outline around the graham crackers. Fill in with more chocolate and spread smooth, making a thin layer of chocolate on top of cracker. Refrigerate until set, about 5 minutes.
- After the chocolate has set, turn the crackers over and pipe a line of melted chocolate down the center of the uncoated side. Place each pretzel stick on top of the line of chocolate on the back of the graham cracker leaving about a 2 inch overhang. Refrigerate until set. Cut the remaining pretzel sticks into two 2 inch and two 3/4 inch lengths. Pipe a small dot of melted chocolate on one end of the 2 inch pretzel sticks and attach the smaller pretzel piece crosswise to make the shovel handle. Add the mint gum shovel head to the other end of pretzel attaching it with a dot of melted chocolate. Place on cookie sheet and refrigerate until set, about 5 minutes.
- Tint 1/2 cup of the vanilla frosting green. Tint 1 tablespoon of the vanilla frosting red. Tint 2 tablespoons of the vanilla frosting orange. Tint 1/4 cup of the vanilla frosting blue. Spoon each colour, including remaining vanilla frosting, into separate ziplock bags. Spoon 1/4 cup chocolate frosting into a ziplock bag. Snip a very small corner from the bags with the frostings. Pipe the names and the vegetable shapes on top of the chocolate coated side of graham crackers.
- Place the chocolate cookie crumbs in a medium bowl. Spread the remaining chocolate frosting over the tops of the cupcakes. Roll tops of the cupcakes in the chocolate cookie crumbs to cover completely. Arrange the cupcakes in 4 rows of 6 on a serving platter.
- To make the lettuce: Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Place the corn flakes in a small bowl. Spoon the remaining green frosting into a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the green frosting until smooth and is the texture of slightly whipped cream, about 5 to 10 seconds. Pour the melted green frosting over the corn flakes in the bowl, tossing well to coat, and spread the corn flakes onto the prepared cookie sheet. Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes. Cut 2 of the green fruit chews in half and shape into balls. Place a green ball on top of each of 4 cupcakes and 8 to 12 green corn flakes around balls to make the leaves. Use a dot of green frosting to secure if necessary.
- To make the radishes: Cut the white piece of taffy into quarters. Roll one red fruit chew together with a piece of white taffy and shape them into a ball, keeping the colours separate. Pinch the white end to form the radish root. Place radish on top of each of 4 cupcakes, and add several green coated corn flakes to make the leaves.
- To make the carrots: Cut 2 of the orange fruit chews in half. Using the 4 half fruit chews and the 6 whole fruit chews shape each into a small or large carrot shape. Score the side of carrots with a knife. Rub the sides of the carrot candies with the cinnamon to look slightly dirty. Use a toothpick to make a small hole in the top end. Cut a green fruit chew into thin strips and roll to look like carrot tops. Press the carrot tops into the carrots. Arrange carrots, overlapping slightly, on top of 5 cupcakes.
- To make the peas: Flatten each of the 5 green fruit chews into 3 by 1 inch ovals, 1/8 inch thick. Press 4 green candy coated chocolates onto one side of fruit chew, fold the other side over to cover candies slightly. Pinch ends and arrange pea pods on top of 5 cupcakes. Add the green licorice laces to make the vines.
- Add the seed pack signs to 4 cup cakes and place at head of each row. Insert shovels into 2 cupcakes, along with the chocolate covered sunflower seeds and place in rows with radishes and lettuce.