These playful cupcakes are sure to make any graduate’s heart melt. The chocolate-covered mortarboards and filo dough diplomas are as cute as they are delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with blue paper liners. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake until cupcakes are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 18 to 21 minutes. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place a sheet of filo dough onto a clean work surface. Spray lightly with the vegetable cooking spray. Sprinkle the top with 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Place another sheet on top an press lightly. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 12 rectangles, (3 by 4 strips).
- Roll up one short end of the filo dough around the handle of a wooden spoon. Slide of the spoon and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat to make 11 more rolls. Repeat process with the remaining 2 sheets of filo dough to make 24 rolls. Bake in the oven until it just begins to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Trim the red licorice into twenty four 2 inch pieces. Cut 48 1 inch pieces of red licorice. Press 2 of the smaller pieces of licorice to one of the longer pieces to make the tassel. Cut the remaining licorice into twenty four 4 inch lengths and tie each carefully around the filo diplomas.
- Spoon the chocolate frosting into a resealable bag; seal the bag. Snip a small corner from the bag. Pipe a dot of chocolate frosting on top of the chocolate mint or cookie and attach the licorice tassel and a red candy.
- Spread the vanilla frosting on top of the cupcakes and make smooth. Place a marshmallow cookie on top and press down lightly to secure. Pipe a dot of chocolate frosting on top of the cookie and add the chocolate mint top with tassel. Add the filo diploma next to the cap. Continue with the remaining cupcakes and cookies.