X marks the spot, but who will find the treasure that’s hidden inside one of these delicious cupcakes? This is from our friends at Hello, Cupcake!
- Cover a cookie sheet with a piece of wax paper. Place the white chocolate chips in a freezer bag. Do not seal the bag. Microwave for about 10 seconds to soften. Massage the mixture and return to the microwave. Repeat the process until the chocolate is smooth. Press out the excess air and seal the bag. Snip a ⅛" corner from the bag. Pipe an outline of a skull, about 1¼" long, and fill in with chocolate. Tap the pan lightly to smooth the top of the chocolate. Pipe bone shapes, about 1½" long. Refrigerate until firm, about 5 minutes. (Reserve the remaining chocolate to assemble the treasure chest.)
- Pipe some of the chocolate onto 3 of the unwrapped chocolate rectangles on the flat side. Sprinkle the chocolate with the yellow sugar to cover. Cut the fruit leather into six 1½" long and ⅛" wide strips. Attach strips on top of the remaining 3 chocolates with a small dot of chocolate as the straps of treasure chests. Place the chocolates on top of the sugared chocolates, flat side down. Refrigerate until set, about 5 minutes.
- Shape the green fruit chews into 3 bottle shapes.
- Tint the chocolate frosting with the black food colouring to make black. Spoon frosting into a small freezer bag, press out the air and seal the bag. Snip a very small corner from bag. Pipe skeleton faces, on the chocolate skulls, and X's and the cork on bottle.
- Place the vanilla cookie crumbs in a shallow bowl. Spread the tops of the cupcakes with the vanilla frosting. Roll the tops of the cupcakes in the crumbs to cover completely. Arrange the cupcakes on parchment paper on a serving platter. Add some more crumbs if desired. Press the black licorice pieces on the top of the cupcakes for the trail. Add the red M&M for the starting point and the red licorice for the finished “X”.
- Arrange treasure chests on top of 3 cupcakes. Peel the bones and skulls from the wax paper. Add the other decorations where desired.