What’s better than a cupcake? A cupcake topped with a donut to create a temptingly delicious “apple!” Thanks to Hello, Cupcake! for the recipe.
- Spread some vanilla frosting on the cupcakes and place the mini doughnut piece, flat side down, on top. Place the cupcakes in the freezer for 15 minutes, until slightly frozen.
- Cut the wheat sticks in half lengthwise on the diagonal. Shape into a stem. Roll out the green fruit chews to a 1/8 inch thickness. Cut the flattened fruit chews into 1½ by ¾ inch leaf shapes. Press a line with the back of a paring knife to make crease down the centre and pinch one end of candy to make 10 leaves.
- Working on one cupcake at a time, spread some frosting on top and sides of the chilled cupcake to fill in the gaps and lightly coat the doughnut, keeping the shape of the doughnut top to look like the top of an apple. Return cupcake to the freezer and repeat with the remaining cupcakes.
- Tint the remaining vanilla frosting yellow with the food colouring. Spoon the yellow frosting into a 2 cup glass measuring cup.
- Microwave the yellow frosting, stirring frequently, until it is the texture of lightly whipped cream, about 45 seconds. Remove 1 cupcake from the freezer at a time. Holding 1 chilled cupcake by its paper bottom, dip it into the yellow frosting just up to the liner. Hold the cupcake above the surface and allow the excess frosting to drip off. Turn right side up and let stand. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. If the frosting becomes too thick, reheat for several seconds, stirring well.
- Let cupcakes stand about 15 minutes to allow frosting to set. Lightly spray cupcakes with spots of the red spray food colouring to look like the blush on the apples.
- Insert the honey wheat stick stems with the green fruit chew leaves at the top of the apple cupcakes.