Out of this world amazing! - A close encounter of the cupcake kind. Neon green food colouring and vanilla frosting makes this design eerie yet simple! Use Duncan Hines French Vanilla cake mix to get started with your alien cupcakes.
- Tint the vanilla frosting an appropriate alien green with the neon food colouring. Cut the marshmallows in half crosswise with clean scissors.
- Spread a thin layer of the green frosting on top of the cupcakes and attach the marshmallow half in the centre, cut side down. Place the doughnut hole on top of the marshmallow using the green frosting to secure. Spread additional green frosting over the marshmallow and donut hole to fill gaps and smooth.
- Place assembled cupcakes in the freezer for 15 minutes or until slightly frozen.
- Working in batches, spoon 1 cup of the green frosting into a 1 cup glass measuring cup. Heat the green frosting in the microwave for 10 to 15 second intervals, stirring frequently, until frosting is the consistency of slightly whipped cream (do not overheat).
- Holding chilled cupcake by foil liner, dip one at a time into the green frosting just up to the foil liner. Allow excess frosting to drip off. Carefully invert cupcake and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Reheat frosting in the microwave for several seconds, stirring well, when consistency becomes too thick. Add more green frosting and heat as necessary.
- Press the black candies onto the head area pointed end facing each other, to make the eyes. Make 2 holes in the top of each donut hole with a toothpick and insert a piece of licorice in each holes to make the antennae
- Carefully place each cupcake into plastic cup and top with another cup, inverted, to look like a space ship.