Whimsical, yet definitely grown up. These cupcakes make any occasion exotic and fun. The secret is in the Middle Eastern "essence" waters that are readily available at most large grocers and Middle Eastern specialty shops.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Prepare (24) non-stick cupcake pans with paper liners
- In a large bowl prepare the cake mix according to package directions, adding the essence waters
- Fill the 24 cupcake cups evenly (to about 2/3 full)
- Bake for 18 to 21 minutes, until lightly golden and a tester inserted comes out clean
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool on a rack
- Put the Duncan Hines prepared icing in a medium bowl and beat in the juice and essence waters
- Using a spoon or pastry bag, put a swirl or dollop of icing on each cupcake
- Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios
- And finally arrange a few threads of orange zest on each one.