Bite-sized sandwich cookies with great-big flavor - chocolate cookies with a touch of coffee and rum, layered with creamy Duncan Hines Homestyle Cream Cheese Frosting. For easy party prep, pre-bake the cookies and fill just before serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray baking sheets with nonstick cooking-spray.
- Combine hot water and instant coffee in a small bowl; stir until coffee is completely dissolved and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine brownie mix, oil, eggs, and reserved coffee mixture. Dough will seem dry, but will completely moisten as you stir. (Knead briefly by hand, in the bowl, if preferred.)
- Working with 1 even teaspoon of dough at a time, roll dough into balls and place on baking sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350°F for 9-11 minutes or until edges are just set. (Centers may appear under-done.) Do not over bake. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks with a metal spatula and cool completely.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of rum extract with the Duncan Hines Frosting. Spread 1 teaspoon frosting on the flat bottoms of half of the cookies. Top each frosted cookie with another cookie, flat side toward frosting. Gently press together. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.
- Vanilla frosting, chocolate frosting, or plain, whipped cream cheese make tasty alternatives to the cream cheese frosting filling.