A Neapolitan cake made by preparing a 3 flavored cake using Duncan Hines chocolate fudge and a Duncan Hines white cake mix and strawberries. The combination of the Duncan Hines cream cheese icing, the strawberries and the chocolate curls nicely compliments the 3 flavors of cake.
- Prepare 1 box of Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge cake mix per directions on the box. Pour batter into freezable container and place in freezer.
- Prepare 1 box of Duncan Hines White cake mix per directions on the box. Pour half of the Batter into a freezable container and place in freezer.
- Defrost ½ cup of fresh strawberries in a strainer to remove moisture. Mash thawed strawberries (discard juice of strawberries) and pour into remaining half of white cake mix batter.
- Add drops of red food coloring to achieve the correct pink color. Pour batter into a freezable container and place in freezer.
- Let cake batters freeze solid.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease sides and bottom of pan.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out each of the 3 cake batter colors, going in a pattern around the cake. (Pattern should be chocolate, strawberry vanilla, repeat.) Once the bottom of the pan is filled, continue scooping the cake batter onto the same color as the previous layer.
- (For example, scoop chocolate right on top of the chocolate on the previous layer, the strawberry on top of strawberry and white on top of white.) Do not stir.
- Excess batter can be returned to the freezer for use another time. It is handy to have on hand to make in a hurry cupcakes. You can use the same procedure to make Neapolitan cupcakes, just use a spoon to scoop equal amounts of each batter into cupcake tins.
- Bake per package directions, you may need to add a few minutes to the baking time because the batter is frozen. Cool pan on rack for 15 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting and decorating the cake
- Frost with 1 container of Duncan Hines Cream Home-Style Cream Cheese Icing.
- Just prior to serving, place the sliced strawberries on the top of cake and sprinkle with chocolate curls. To make chocolate curls, you peel a piece of chocolate such as a solid chocolate bar using a regular vegetable peeler.