The ruffled frosting alone is a work of art, never mind the delicious Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge Cake inside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Make Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix as directed on box in two 8-inch round layers. Let cakes cool completely.
- Put cake layers, uncovered, in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Empty vanilla frosting into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 10-second bursts, just until frosting is soft enough to easily spread and mix.
- Add pink gel paste color by dipping a toothpick into color and transferring color to frosting. Mix completely until no more white is visible in frosting. Add more color as needed.
- Remove cake layers from freezer. Frost surface of bottom layer of cake, then place top layer on bottom layer. Lightly frost sides and top of whole layer cake, then place cake in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Put remaining frosting in piping bag with petal tip attached.
- Take cake back out of refrigerator. Hold pastry bag straight up and down with narrow end of petal tip facing you and wider end of the tip against edge of the cake.
- Beginning at bottom of the cake, squeeze bag and move tip back and forth as you build a vertical "wall" of ruffles, one on top of the next, up entire side of the cake. When your first column of ruffles is done, start piping your next ruffle column next to the completed ruffles. Proceed all the way around cake until complete.
- If you want to ruffle the top of your cake, use the same technique but tilt the piping bag at a 45 degree angle. Instead of lying on top of each other, the ruffles will overlap each other (like shingles).