With bright fresh flavours of lemon and mint, this fun spring-inspired cake is perfect for Easter or Mother’s Day.
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350˚F (180°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans (or line bottom of each pan with parchment paper).
- In small bowl, combine coconut milk, buttermilk, milk and chia seeds; stir in mint extract and food colouring. In separate large bowl, beat together cake mix and shortening; beat in milk mixture for about 2 minutes or until well combined, scraping down side as needed.
- Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted into center; let cool completely on rack.
- Frosting: Using electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. With mixer on low speed, beat in icing sugar, buttermilk and vanilla until blended and smooth (if needed, add 1 to 2 tbsp/15 to 30 mL more buttermilk). Increase speed to high; beat for 1 to 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Place one cake layer on serving platter; spread generous 1/2 cup (125 mL) frosting over top. Top with remaining cake layer; spread remaining frosting over top and side of cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish with chocolate shavings (if using).
Garnish cake with fresh mint and lemon slices if desired.