Cranberry and chocolate make a wonderful combination in this holiday take on a classic German cake. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) for metal or glass pans (325°F/165°C for dark or coated pans). Grease bottom and sides of two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans; flour lightly.
- Using electric mixer on low speed, blend cake mix, water, oil and eggs for about 30 seconds or until moistened; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake immediately in centre of oven for 22 to 27 minutes (add 3 to 5 minutes to baking time for dark or coated pans) or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans on rack for 15 minutes. Transfer cakes directly to rack; let cool completely.
- Brush each cake with orange liqueur. Place one cake on serving plate. Spread half of the frosting over cake. Spoon half of the cranberry sauce over top. Repeat layers, leaving sides of cake unfrosted.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate slices.
- Tips: Substitute 1 tsp orange zest and juice of 1 orange (about 1/3 cup/75 mL) combined with 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar for orange liqueur if desired.