Can something be simple and elegant at the same time? Transform this Choco-mocha-licious Cake recipe into an edible work of art by adding one missing ingredient: your imagination.
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Grease and flour 2 8-inch-round pans according to package directions.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, 2 tablespoons coffee powder, 1 egg, 1/4 cup cake mix. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Blend together remaining cake mix, water, oil and 2 eggs in a large bowl at low speed until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Divide batter into 2 8-inch-round pans. Dollop cream cheese mixture on top of batter by heaping tablespoonfuls. Swirl into batter using a knife or spatula.
- Bake and cool according to package directions.
- Mix remaining tablespoon of coffee powder into frosting. Blend completely before frosting top and sides of cake. Garnish cake by sifting cocoa powder over top and decorating with chocolate shavings, if desired.
- To make chocolate shavings, pull a vegetable peeler over the surface of a block of room-temperature milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate. Use even, steady strokes to make thin curls of chocolate. Gently transfer curls to cake using a toothpick or skewer.