This impressive cake with sweet summer peaches is perfect for entertaining.
- Preheat oven to 350°F for metal or glass pan(s) (or 325°F for dark or coated pans). Grease and flour lightly sides and bottom of two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In large bowl, using electric mixer at low speed, blend cake mix, water, oil and eggs for about 30 seconds or until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans; bake immediately.
- Bake in center of oven for 23 to 25 minutes (or 26 to 28 minutes for dark or coated pans) or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans on rack for 15 minutes. Remove cakes from pan; let cool directly on rack.
- Toss together peaches, syrup, lemon juice and vanilla; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Fold whipped topping into butterscotch pudding.
- Stack one cake on serving plate. Spread half of the butterscotch pudding mixture over cake. Spoon half of the peaches on top. Repeat layers.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Drizzle caramel sauce over cake just before serving. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
If desired, peel peaches before using. Score an “X” using sharp knife; plunge into boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes or until skins are slightly loosened to make it easier to peel.
Substitute whipped cream for whipped topping if preferred.