make a designer ispired cake that tastes just as good as it looks! Duncan Hines cakes are great and easy to frost and decorate without crumbling, which is really important when making a custom cake!
- Preheat oven to 350
- combine Duncan Hines cake mix with eggs, oil and water with mixer until well blended
- with wooden spoon, fold in smarties (or any other add-in)
- pour into proper cake pans (for what you want to make)
- bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- refrigerate until firm
- cut into shapes
- Buttercream icing;
- beat 1/4 cup shortening with 1/4 cup butter on high for 3 minutes.
- add vanilla and icing sugar until desired consistancy (pasty but not too thick)
- Royal icing;
- beat 3 egg whites on high till frothy, add cream of tarter and beat till it looks like shaving cream. Add icing sugar and beat until desired thickness (depending on what your frosting)
- ice and fill cakes
- refriegerate again until firm
- decorate with fondant and or royal icing for extra "fanciness"
- it's that simple!