Fresh lemon and lemon curd lend a citrusy contrast to the sweet chocolate in these Duncan Hines cupcakes.
- Bake cupcakes as directed and let cool completely.
- Using a paring knife, cut a small inverted cone out of top center of cupcake. Cut no more than 2/3 of the way down into cupcake.
- Fill the empty space in cupcake with lemon curd (about 1 teaspoon).
- Using a fine grater, take off the yellow zest of the entire lemon.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze juice into a small bowl.
- Add lemon zest to the frosting.
- Start by adding 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to frosting. Mix and taste. If you want a stronger lemon flavor, begin adding more a 1/2 teaspoon at a time to taste.
- Add a drop of yellow food color to frosting and mix in thoroughly.
- Frost cupcakes and serve. For a more decorative finish, utilize a pastry bag to frost your cupcakes.