Got this excellent recipe from the cookbook "The Ultimate Shortcut Cookie Book" by Camilla V. Saulsbury. There are excellent recipes in there for all types of cookies and everyone loved these!
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookies sheets with vegetable shortening.
- 2. Place the cake mix, water, oil, egg whites, and almond extract in a large bowl. Blend with an electric mixer set on medium speed for 1-2 minutes; stop mixer and scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula.
- 3. Blend for 1 minute longer on medium-high speed until smooth and all dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in coconut with a wooden spoon until blended.
- 4.Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.
- 5. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer cookies to wire rack with metal spatula and cool completely.