A deep red, chewy cookie that has a delicate crackled crust dusted with a touch of powdered sugar.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt butter; set aside to cool. Place powdered sugar and cornstarch in shallow dish. Mix with a fork to blend.
- Place cake mix, cooled butter, eggs and lemon zest in large mixing bowl. Mix by hand until well blended and a dough forms.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls and roll in powdered sugar. Place on cool, ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake, 1 sheet at a time, in center of oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container with wax paper or parchment separating layers.
For consistency, use a small scoop (1 to 1-1/4 inches in diameter) to form dough into balls.
For best results, bake only one sheet of cookies at a time. If two are baked at once, rotate sheets midway through baking.